Skip to main content

Absent Without Leave

The sea roared in a kettle, signalling to the lone occupant that cold winds do not come bearing gifts of tea and wool. Lifting the lid, one is reminded that every peek is reprimanded by those that pay silence to avoid consequences. The flux of leaves and water seemed like a dance of November. They would lose their colour, yet flourish like an aerated whirlpool where burns release from a dark, eternal torment.

The wobbly chair from Mother's wedding found its perfect fit between two eroded rocks. Their erosion was not apparent because it had so taken to the mahogany of the limp chair that it wished to birth the seat from its own womb. Alas! If stone did birth trees, none could be a greater sin than to hide the fact about wildfires from them. They aren't a wisp to embrace, but a sight that pushes senses into the roots, so in all that ashen numbness, one might still qualify being alive.

These years gather on the eyes; I dreamt of a box full of them, little fish scales stuck to the insides of a wet wooden box. Because there's a price for every sunset since eighteen; of course, you pay extra for drunkards, terminal kids and lovesick doves. And one day, someone sings of your fading life and you rush, rush to melt these scales with a candle, oblivious of the wax between your fingers and around your toes. I take another sip, it's bitter and I lick the flame.

When wonder urges me to talk, I say jars are perfect cages. A cricket clicks its tongue and the crumpled paper in my pocket turns blank again. How? They do not cling onto an existence or attempt to find meaning in words. There's just a faint odour or tint when they lose significance, something that can be corrected by a whiplash of water. Pause.

I can feel the ceramic part, I wouldn't know if my fingers have conspired in this. Everything happens for a reason? No, everything requires a reason. The lead in the jar was once stardust shed by a firefly, and now it waits for the next wave to wash it away. 

A letter comes towards the end, with a map of roads that strangely run along the wrinkles in your palm. Where to? To your desire to wrap her in torn jackets, outside shop windows with funny names. At the end of the street, where the ticket turns a blind eye and you want a moment in all of this. The night is cold, and we're out of tea.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons from Social Engineering

It is a common misconception that security is solely a technological problem. Companies and individuals may allocate a significant portion of their spending to design the best security policies, protecting themselves with the latest security products and hire personnel from the top security firms. But such entities are still vulnerable to attacks. Technology creates a false sense of security among people leading them to ignore the weakest link in security practices i.e. the human factor. Anybody who thinks that equipping themselves with the latest security products and technology makes them immune to attacks buys into this same illusion of security. Security should be viewed as a process and not a product and should be tackled not as a technological problem but a people and management problem. Why is that the case? It’s because the biggest threat to a business is a social engineer. It’s usually an unscrupulous, glib, friendly and obliging person that distracts you with his le

Home

Creaking doors in tumble down corridors Give away at the slightest push, Trembling legs make it to rest, As this ruse slowly strips away. The dilapidated bed struggles to support a fall, As the shabby blanket embraces a hollow form, Winds howls in through cracks in the window, And the moon checks in from time to time. Eyes peer through this veil of darkness, Light fades in the distance, Ever falling towards the seedy underbelly, Yet never reaching. The dusty floor covered in heaps of clothing, Cleverly conspires with the scorching heat, To hide those tears, That pour out from irreparable gaps of the heart. Wails from some invisible corner, Rouses from a sleepless slumber, Who is this shrunk, morose figure, That begs to leave. The mouth of a well, Overlooks the cold reservoir, Tugging at the damp rope, Oblivious of no escape. Dull and musty curtains, Waving in sympathy, Mourning at the dire sight, Of a soul trapped within itself. Loud knocks and comfo

I Make Your Art

I make melodies with my mouth, I run these bleeding fingers down south, My heart separates to soothing strings, Oh please help me, hide my fallen wings. I dance around to shades of moonbeam, I serenade your presence in my dream, This darkness escapes my grasp, My ear searches your clap. I made another world today, I gave something, I took away, Please don't abscond me, For my sins in a fantasy. I laughed on the stage again, I played with my pain, For the whole world may see my excellence, My simplicity seeks your credence. I put up a face to fight, I hid my debilitated might, Beneath those inebriated bandages, My existence dwells in your cages. I saw this empty orchestra, I was dressed in magenta, Were you standing behind that blinding light? Did you come to bless my plight? I lied to you now and then, I professed the impossible and made it happen, My tricks vanished with your fascinations,  My reality is your aberration.  I removed my facade, I